I have recently decided to make more effort to cook with my children and involve them in the whole process of cooking and preparing their food.
I recently found this Hairy Bikers recipe and love it! It makes approx 8 delicious rolls and is super easy to make with little helpers!
Super Simple Bread Rolls : Ingredients
500g/1lb 2oz unbleached strong white organic bread flour, plus a little extra for dusting
1 tsp salt
2 tsp dried yeast
30g/1oz butter, softened
75ml/2½fl oz milk, room temperature
225ml/8fl oz water, room temperature
Oil, for greasing baking tray
Super Simple Bread Rolls : Preparation
1. With your fingers, mix the white flour, salt and dried yeast in a bowl. Rub the softened butter or lard into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Children love this messy part!
2. Mix the milk with the water. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix together with your hands until the dough is well combined. Bring the dough together into a ball.
3. Using floured hands, knead the dough on a clean, floured work surface for 20-25 minutes, or until the dough is elastic and smooth. If necessary add a little more water to loosen the dough. Don’t be afraid to let your children have a go too, they love it and you can give them a small piece to knead and then recombine into one large dough ball, it won’t do any harm!
4. Return the dough to themixing bowl and cover with cling film. Set aside for 1-1½ hours in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
5. When the dough has risen, return it to a floured work surface and knock it back by re-kneading it..
6. Separate the mixture into eight parts and roll each into a ball. Transfer the rolls to a baking tray, placing them about 3 cm apart.
7. Cover the tray with cling film and set aside for another half hour, or until the rolls have doubled in size again. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
8. When the rolls have expanded, dust them with the rice flour and transfer them to the oven. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden-brown and cooked through.
To serve, separate the rolls and serve warm with butter.